How To Maintain a Spray Tan in 5 Steps
Wondering how to make your new sun-kissed look last? The longer a spray tan has a chance to set, the longer it will stay. What you do (and don’t do!) after your tan is crucial to ensuring it lasts as long as it should. Today, we bring you our top tips to maintain a spray tan!
Immediately after your tan, you should avoid contact with any liquids or water. There should also be no skin-to-skin contact or constant rubbing for the first six hours. You should avoid exercising or sweating for the time being. For your first post-tan shower use warm water only (no soap!). Pat your skin dry after showering (never rub!).
To continue to maintain a spray tan, follow these five easy steps:
- Apply moisturizer morning and evening (avoid moisturizers with harsh mineral oils, alcohols, and sulfates). Unscented products are preferable. Cocoa butter is a good choice.
- Avoid long, hot showers and baths. Avoid using loofahs, body scrubs, or body products that contain exfoliating beads. Unscented bath products are recommended. Avoid products that contain a lot of oil. Wear gloves to do housework, particularly when you’ll be getting your hands wet.
- Limit shaving your legs, which actually exfoliates them (less often than once a day if possible). Avoid using hair removal creams as these can literally “eat away” your tan.
- Avoid using face washes containing salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. Acne spot treatments should be avoided for at least the first week after your spray tan. Anti-aging products that contain retinoids should also be avoided.
- Be careful about exercising as friction and excess sweat may cause your tan to fade. Chlorine in swimming pools and hot tubs can also shorten the longevity of your tan.
At Bronze Tan, we hand spray and customize each and every tan. To schedule your appointment, contact us today or book online.