Love that beautiful spray tan look, but concerned about how long it will last? Read on to learn more about how long you can expect that gorgeous glow to look great.
Most spray tans claim to last ten days. However, sometimes it can depend on the shade you choose. Often, lighter shades can fade quicker, lasting only five days, while medium shades can last a few days longer. Darker shades will last the longest, topping out at ten days. It all depends on the tanning spray’s active ingredient, dihydroxyacetone. Darker shades tend to have more of this ingredient.
Take Some Steps To Make It Last
If you want your spray tan to last longer, there are a few things you can do to keep the glow going.
- Exfoliate with a natural exfoliant (think loofahs, dry brushing, and natural scrubs) every day for three days before your appointment. However, don’t go for chemical exfoliants or oil-based products, as these can hinder the tan from absorbing into your skin
- Shower a few hours before your appointment, but not too close to your appointment. Give your skin at least eight hours to get back to its normal pH
- Remove impurities like makeup and deodorant, as these can prevent the tan solution from absorbing into your skin well.
Care For Your Tan
After you’re finished getting spray tanned, don’t forget to:
- Wear loose fitting clothing, so the tan doesn’t rub off.
- Wait at least six hours after your appointment to shower, and when you do, use lukewarm (not hot) water. Don’t use harsh soaps or washes, and don’t let shampoo touch your tan.
- Ditch the deodorant in favor of baby powder. They will help stop the sweating and will also help keep you smelling fresh.
If you’d like more great tanning tips, contact us!